The gluten-free beauties were created by complete accident when I completely messed up an attempt at creating a grain-free pancake recipe for a group of autoimmune disease clients.
I remember standing there looking at this massive bowl of un-usable almond and coconut flours… the recipe I was working with just wasn’t coming together, but I knew the building blocks were solid (and delicious).
So I added come cocoa powder, maple syrup, and brown rice flour and… voila! These fluffy, decadent beauties were born!
With any gluten-free bake-able, smaller portions tend to cook more evenly and result in a better texture. I’d definitely recommend baking these up as mini muffins!
Enjoy this recipe today BECAUSE TOMORROW is a very exciting day! My e-cookbook is launching and I’ve just created a new lemon poppy seed muffin recipe that is going to BLOW YOUR MIND. It’s a last-minute addition to the book!
Makes 12 muffins or 36 mini muffins
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 4 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ⅓ cup raw or coconut sugar
- 2 cups plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (can use coconut vinegar or lemon for dietary restrictions)
1. Preheat the oven to 325F and line 12 muffin cups or 36 mini muffin cups with parchment cups.
2. In a large glass bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
3. Fold half of the dry ingredients into the wet using a wooden spoon or silicon spatula and mix until just combined. Fold in the remaining dry ingredients and mix together until just combined (some lumps are okay).
4. Spoon batter into muffin cups filling each about ⅔ of the way full (muffins will rise).
5. Bake at 325F for about 25 minutes for mini muffins, 30-35 minutes for regular muffins or until browning on top and firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before transferring out of muffin pan.